Irvine Valley's women's tennis team won its second match to start the season, edging El Camino, 5-4, on the road Tuesday afternoon.
Irvine Valley won two of the three doubles matches to start, getting victories from its No. 1 team of sophomores Sabrina Mendy and Ashley Le and from the No. 3 duo of freshman Justice Tien and Collette Kelly.
In singles action, Mendy and freshman Nicole Harper each picked up wins in straight sets and Tien earned a three-set victory.
Mendy defeated Kekoa Vaefa, 6-1, 6-4, at the No. 2 spot and Le beat Brenda Fernandez, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 4 singles.
Tien dropped the first set to Kayla Brown at the No. 3 position, but rallied to defeat Kayla Brown, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.
El Camino's record slipped to 2-2 overall.
Irvine Valley plays again on Thursday at Cerritos at 2 p.m.
Irvine Valley 5, El Camino 4
1. Lindsay Giese (ECC) def. Soleil Zsibrita (IVC) 7-6, 6-2
2. Sabrina Mendy (IVC) def. Kekoa Vaefa (ECC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Justice Tien (IVC) def. Kayla Brown (ECC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Ashley Le (IVC) def. Brenda Fernandez (ECC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Nicole Harper (IVC) def. Amanda Hidalgo (ECC) 6-3, 6-0
6. Jay Gomez (ECC) def. Collette Kelly (IVC) 6-0, 6-1
1. Giese/Vaefa (ECC) def. Mendy/Le (IVC) 8-5
2. Zsibrita/Harper (IVC) def. Brown/Leah Phillips (ECC) 8-5
3. Gomez/Hidalgo (ECC) def. Tien/Kelly (IVC) 8-4