Irvine Valley's men's tennis team is one match away from being back in the state championship.
The Lasers struggled early, but battled to earn a 5-1 win over San Diego Mesa in a California Community College dual team Southern California regional playoffs semifinal match on Tuesday at Irvine Valley.
Irvine Valley, the top-seeded team, will face No. 2 College of the Desert for the second straight year in the regional final. Desert was a 5-1 winner over Cerritos in the other semifinal.
The match is on Saturday at Irvine Valley at a time yet to be determined.
Irvine Valley, which finished second in the state last season, improved its record to 16-1 overall.
Third-seeded San Diego Mesa finished its dual team season at 18-7.
San Diego Mesa gave Irvine Valley fits early on in the doubles.
But Irvine Valley then pulled out victories in the other two doubles contests.
Williams and Paz trailed, 6-1, in the match. They were also down, 6-5, 0-40, at one point, but were able to rally for the win.
The wins gave Irvine Valley an important 2-1 lead heading into the singles competition.
IVC freshman Bruno Figlia made it 3-1 quickly for the Lasers with a 6-0, 6-0 triumph at No. 6 singles.
Ucelay and freshman Flavien Raveau won at No. 1 and No. 3 singles, respectively to end the overall match for Irvine Valley.
Ucelay defeated Barrere, 6-2, 6-2, while Raveau picked up a 6-3, 6-1 win over Wheeler.
"I thought both teams were a little tight at the start of the match," IVC coach Ross Duncan said. "And I don't think we played our absolute best, but we won and are moving on. We are a step closer to where we want to be."
Irvine Valley def. San Diego Mesa, 5-1
1) Simon Guillin/Guillermo Ucelay (IVC) def. Tyler Luck/Felippo Bedin (SDM), 8-4
2) Corentin Haener/Kimo Barrere (SDM) def. Valenin Baize/Max Rumeau (IVC), 8-1
3) Carson Williams/Scott Paz (IVC) def. Luka Stanivukovich/Scott Wheeler (SDM), 8-6
1) Ucelay (IVC) def. Barrere (SDM), 6-2, 6-2
2) Guillin (IVC) vs. Haener (SDM), unfinished
3) Flavien Raveau (IVC) def. Wheeler (SDM), 6-3, 6-1
4) Williams (IVC) vs. Bedin (SDM) unfinished
5) Tony Selim (IVC) vs. Luck (SDM), unfinished
6) Bruno Figlia (IVC) def. Stanivukovich (SDM), 6-0, 6-0