Irvine Valley's men's tennis team scored its best win of the season so far, beating Cerritos, 7-2, at home on Thursday.
IVC won the first five matches of the afternoon to secure the victory.
"Most of the matches were close," IVC coach Ross Duncan said. "Cerritos is tough so this was a very good win for us."
The match was a battle of two of the top teams in Southern California.
Irvine Valley, which finished second last season, is ranked No. 1 in Southern California to start this year.
Cerritos came in ranked No. 3 in Southern California.
The Lasers improved their record to 3-0 overall, while Cerritos suffered its first loss of the season and fell to 3-1.
Irvine Valley earned hard-fought victories in the three doubles matches.
"The play in doubles was definitely the highlight today," Duncan said. "All of our doubles teams played the big points well. That is something we didn't do in our last match against Grossmont (IVC lost two of three in doubles vs. Grossmont)."
Williams and freshman Tony Selim then captured straight-set singles victories.
Williams won, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 3 singles and Slim came out on top, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 4.
The final four singles matches were all close and two of them went to a third-set tiebreaker.
Sophomore Max Rumeau won, 7-5, 7-5, at No. 6 singles for IVC.
And Paz earned a 2-6, 6-1, 1-0 win at No. 5 singles. Paz trailed, 6-3, in the 10-point tiebreaker before coming back for a 10-8 win.
Freshman Flavien Raveau lost in three sets and Guillin fell in the third-set tiebreaker.
Irvine Valley will play again next Thursday, hosting LA Pierce at 2 p.m.
Irvine Valley def. Cerritos, 7-2
1) Simon Guillin/Guillermo Ucelay (IVC) def. Amadi Kagoma/Antonio Torrebella-Clark (CERR), 8-6
2) Max Rumeau/Valentin Baize (IVC) def. Mark Antoniuk/Agustin Lombardi (CERR), 8-6
3) Scott Paz/Carson Williams (IVC) def. Mathieu David/Milos Zoric (CERR), 8-3
1) Kagoma (CERR) def. Guillin (IVC), 7-5, 5-7, 10-7
2) Torrebella-Clark (CERR) def. Flavien Raveau (IVC), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
3) Williams (IVC) def. Antoniuk (CERR), 6-4, 6-0
4) Tony Selim (IVC) def. David (CERR), 6-2, 6-4
5) Paz (IVC) def. Lombardi (CERR), 2-6, 6-1, 10-8
6) Rumeau (IVC) def. Henry Ayesiga (CERR), 7-5, 7-5